How to Fill Out the FAFSA: A Brief Guide
Filling out the FAFSA to get free money for college can be daunting for both students and parents alike. Here is a quick step by step guide to put you on the right track.
- Set up your account – Both the student and the parents need their own FSA ID, and you can’t set them up for each other, so both of you will have to create a login.
- Begin filling out the form – Head to gov to start the process of filling out the FAFSA right away. Don’t forget that your state and college deadlines for filling out the form could be months sooner than the federal deadline.
- Link to your schools – You can choose up to 10 colleges to link to your application. When you receive student aid, it will be through the school’s financial aid department and not directly through the FAFSA site.
- Fill out the dependency section – Being a dependent for tax purposes and college aid purposes are two different things. So don’t assume that you won’t be a dependent just because your parents can’t claim you on their taxes anymore.
- Complete and submit the form – Fill out all the rest of the necessary sections of information. Then you will provide an electronic signature before submitting the form.
Get More Help with FAFSA and Other Financial Aid Sources
College Planning Source is here to help families acquire as much free money for college as they possibly can, regardless of your household income. To learn more, call 858.676.0700, or you can submit the online contact form.